10192017Headline:

Explosives-laden truck explodes at Chinese cement factory, 9 dead

YINGDE, CHINA (BNO NEWS) -- A truck carrying more than 7 tonnes (15,400 pounds) of explosives blew up at a cement factory in southern China on Monday, killing nine people and leaving another person missing, government officials said on Tuesday. Nine people were also injured.

The accident happened at around 2:20 p.m. local time at a quarry operated by the Longshan cement company in Yingde, a city in Guangdong Province. It happened as workers at the factory were unloading explosives from the last of three trucks, which were carrying altogether 13 tonnes (28,600 pounds) of explosives.

"The dynamite explosion at the quarry killed nine people and left one missing. The search and rescue operation is currently still underway," a spokesperson for the State Administration of Work Safety said on Tuesday. Workers had already unloaded 6 tonnes (13,200 pounds) of explosives when the blast happened.

The powerful explosion shattered dozens of windows in a nearby township across a river, causing minor injuries to nine villagers, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported. It said the city has set up an emergency response team and has asked experts to remove the unexploded explosives.

The cause of Monday's explosion was not immediately known.

The rapid economic growth in China, in combination with poor safety measures, frequently result in deadly industrial accidents. Earlier this month, thirteen people were killed and fourteen others were injured when a blast ripped through an illegal family-owned workshop in China's eastern Zhejiang province.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment