10182017Headline:

Suicide bomber kills 25, injures more than 50 at Afghan funeral

DUR BABA, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- A suicide bomber attacked a funeral in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday afternoon, killing at least 25 people and injuring more than 50 others, officials said. It was one of the deadliest attacks in the war-torn country so far this year.

The attack happened at around 3:30 p.m. local time when a suicide bomber on foot detonated his explosives at a funeral for a prominent businessman known as Hajji Rasi in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province, an area populated by the Shinwari tribe which is reported to be in conflict with Taliban insurgents.

Afghan officials said at least 25 Afghan civilians were killed while more than 50 others were injured, overwhelming medical facilities in the region. Among those killed was the son of Dur Baba district governor Hamisha Gul, who is believed to have been the target. The district governor himself was also injured, although his injuries were said to be minor.

"Insurgents with no respect for the lives of innocent civilians, in an action totally against Islamic values, killed and wounded many Afghans at a funeral ceremony today," said Nangarhar province governor Gul Agha Shirzai, offering his sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims.

Shirzai said he has ordered his security officials to launch an immediate investigation into the incident to bring the perpetrator or perpetrators of the attack to justice. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but officials at the Afghan Interior Ministry blamed Taliban insurgents.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment