09232017Headline:

Yemen blames al-Qaeda for deadly police academy attack

SANA'A, YEMEN (BNO NEWS) -- Al-Qaeda was responsible for a deadly car bombing at a police academy in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, the country's top security body said on Thursday, as local authorities raised the number of people killed in Wednesday's attack to at least 40.

The attack happened on Wednesday morning when a person parked an explosives-laden vehicle outside the Yemen Police Academy in Sana'a where dozens of people had gathered outside to enroll as cadets at the academy. The attacker fled the scene before the explosives went off, killing at least 40 people and injuring 71 others.

Yemen's Supreme Security Committee said Thursday that al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) was responsible for the attack, though no group has admitted responsibility so far. "The treacherous, bloodthirsty and brutal elements of al-Qaeda carried out the terrorist operation in front of the Police Academy in the capital," a source told the official Saba news agency.

Sana'a Police Chief Abdul Razaq al-Mouayad also told the Saba news agency that security services had identified the person who carried out the car bombing.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment