09262017Headline:

Death toll from France truck attack rises to 85

A 56-year-old man who was critically injured in last month's truck attack during Bastille Day festivities in the French city of Nice has succumbed to his injuries, French officials say, raising the number of victims killed in the attack to 85.

Christian Estrosi, the president of the regional council and the former mayor of Nice, said Pierre Hattermann died of his injuries on Thursday. "All my thoughts are with his daughter, their family and relatives," he said.

Hattermann, who worked as a psychologist, had already lost his wife Françoise and their 12-year-old son Elouan in the attack. The couple's 14-year-old daughter Léane was also critically injured but is now working on her recovery, though she remains hospitalized.

The attack in Nice happened at about 10:30 p.m. on July 14 when a cargo truck deliberately plowed into large crowds at the Promenade des Anglais, where thousands of people were attending a fireworks show to mark France's National Day.

Hattermann's death raises the number of victims killed in the attack to 85, though several people remain in a critical condition and others are still working to recover from their injuries. About 300 people were injured in the attack, which was France's worst attack since the Paris attacks in November.

The perpetrator, a 31-year-old man identified as Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, was acting on behalf of the Islamic State group (ISIS) and was shot dead during a gun battle with police officers. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment