09262017Headline:

[OFFICIAL] Death toll rises to 10 in Russian mall fire, up to 21 still missing – ministry

The death toll from Wednesday's fire and a subsequent collapse at a shopping mall in the Russian city of Kazan has risen to at least 10 after four more bodies were recovered overnight, local authorities said on Friday, but as many as 21 others may still be trapped under the rubble.

A spokesperson for Tatarstan’s Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Situations said the bodies of two men were recovered between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. local time, raising the confirmed death toll to 10. "Rescuers are continuing to clear debris at the scene of the Admiral shopping mall," the spokesperson said.

An eighth body had been recovered just after 1 a.m. local time, about an hour after a seventh body had been recovered. Tatarstan authorities had said on Thursday afternoon - when the death toll stood at 6 - that as many as 25 people were feared to still be trapped under the debris.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment