09242017Headline:

1 dead in machete attack in southern Germany

A woman has been killed and two others have been injured after a Syrian refugee with a machete attacked people in the city of Reutlingen in southern Germany, officials say. There were no immediate indications of terrorism.

The incident happened at around 4:30 p.m. local time on Sunday when officers were called to the scene near the central bus station in Reutlingen. It happened after the man was involved in some sort of argument with a woman, police said.

The woman - who was reportedly pregnant - died at the scene of the attack while two other people - a man and a woman - were injured. There was no immediate word on the conditions of those injured.

Police said a man, identified as a 21-year-old asylum-seeker from Syria, had been arrested at the scene. He was already known to authorities, officials said, though it's unknown for what reasons. A photo of the suspect showed him on the ground with bloodied hands and with blood on his face.

"Based on the current information there is no evidence to suggest a terrorist attack," Reutlingen police said in a brief statement. It said a press conference would take place on Sunday evening to provide further information.

Sunday's incident comes less than a week after a 17-year-old refugee attacked people with an axe inside a passenger train near the German city of W├╝rzburg, injuring five people. The attacker, who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was shot dead by police.

The incident also comes just two days after a deadly shooting attack at a shopping mall in the German city of Munich, killing 9 people and injuring dozens more. The attacker, who killed himself when approached by police, was not linked to Islamic terrorism.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment