08172017Headline:

Man with package prompts lockdown at the White House

A man carrying a package while making suspicious comments sparked a lockdown at the White House on Tuesday morning, officials and witnesses say. The man was taken into custody but nothing hazardous was found.

The incident began at about 10:15 a.m. ET on Tuesday when a man approached a uniformed officer near the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue NW and 15th Street NW, which is just outside the president's compound.

A spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service said the man was making "suspicious comments" while carrying a package. Officers then separated the man from the package and took him into custody, after which a security alert was declared at the White House.

Reporters at the White House said they were ordered to shelter inside the compound's press room and the North Lawn was evacuated. East Wing tours were also suspended though other activity inside the White House continued as scheduled.

A bomb squad responded to the scene to investigate the suspicious package, but the Secret Service confirmed shortly before 12:30 p.m. ET that nothing hazardous had been found. The security alert has been lifted.

President Donald Trump, who was inside the compound when the security alert took place, was able to continue with his schedule as normal.

The White House has been the scene of a number of security alerts this month. Most notably, on March 10, a man climbed over a fence at the White House and was able to walk on the grounds of the White House for 16 minutes before being taken into custody. He was not able to enter the building itself.

(Copyright 2015 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

What Next?

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment